Monday, January 18, 2010

13.1.....

We did it! We finished the P.F. Changs Half Marathon yesterday. What a great day for a race. The weather was beautiful. There were tons of people. After all of my training and a few tears during the race we finished. I had two goals, maintain at most a 12 minute mile and to finish in 2hours and 30minutes. I know the math doesn't add up for those 2 goals, but I am completely satisfied. Considering the circumstances we finished in 2 hours and 33 minutes:) Here is our journey....

The night before! We had all of our stuff layed out so we wouldn't forget it.


We took the lightrail to the start.

Waiting to start, and trying to stay warm.

The throngs of people. I couldn't believe how many people there were. Over 20,000 ran the half marathon. It was so crazy. The gun for the start of the race was at 8:30, we didn't cross the start line until 9:01.

Phoenix mayor Phil Gordon and Senator John McCain were there to send us off. I have never seen either of them in person, so it was kinda cool.

Running.... It was such a great run and so fun. The first 9 miles were fantastic and I felt so great. About mile 9.5 my body just gave up. My knees were on fire, my toes hurt(I never knew they could hurt like that), and my lower back was spasming. It was really hard to keep going. I pushed through despite the pain and the tears. Although I don't think I could have done it if David wasn't there by my side. He was so encouraging and I am so glad he was there. I was probably really cranky towards him the last few miles but that is only because I was miserable and in pain. Thanks babe, for putting up with me.

After the race. Mom and Riley came and met us at the finish. It was so good to have their support and see a familiar face at the finish.

This was David's motivation. He put a Diet Mountain Dew in his gear bag so he could have it after the race.

3 comments:

  1. You did AWESOME!! Way to go Carlee and David!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go you two! That's so cool! Geting the first one out of the way is the hardest part! You guys are awesome!

    -Jade Pew

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go!!! I admire you were able to accomplish that! My hubby did the race too and as exhausted afterwards. Is a marathon in your future?

    ReplyDelete